Mewstone Assets is an award-winning student accommodation company.
Mewstone Assets were looking to optimise their investment in a 14-apartment new build in Mutley. Mutley is a popular student accommodation area of Plymouth, Devon.
In this case, the primary design objective was to create power solutions for the building. In the long run, the aims were to reduce operating costs as much as possible, together with remaining balanced against initial capital costs.
Overall, the scope was broad ranging and covered all aspects of building services for Mewstone Assets. Specifically –
- Design, supply and install an energy efficient heating and hot water generation system
- Overcome a significant requirement for hot water services with minimal space for plant
- Integrate onsite electrical generation without compromising building appearance
- Reduce energy costs by minimising standing charges and non-commodity elements
Heating & Hot Water
- Installation of two 50kW condensing gas boilers as well as a 2000L accumulator tank
- Centralised plant room, distributing heat and hot water to each apartment
- Installation of building management system, with weather compensation, variable temperature flow control, remote monitoring and fault notification
- System temperature management to ensure maximum boiler efficiency
- Installation of packaged plate heat exchanger for domestic hot water generation, supplying instantaneous generation to meet demand without taking space
- Installation of a 7.56kW Trina Smart Solar PV system. Mounted within the roof structure, replacing slates to maximise cost savings and minimise visual intrusion
- Recommendation to install only one supplier meter for each service for the whole building. The traditional approach is one supplier meter per service for each apartment
- Gas and electricity meter installation as well as procurement of gas and electricity supply contracts
In summary, operating cost savings over a conventional building services solution are in the region of 30% –
- Gas consumption reduced through increased heating system efficiency and excellent design and control
- Gas, water and electricity infrastructure costs significantly reduced by only having one connection point per service
- Maintenance costs reduced by remote monitoring and fault notification
- Annual servicing and inspection costs for only two central gas boilers
- Annual benefit of £1,300 from the Trina Smart Solar PV System giving a 7.5% ROI
- Additional £2,500 saving on roof materials
- Competitively tendered energy supply contracts. We reduced tariff rates as meter types were originally commercial rather than domestic.
- Additionally, only one standing charge per service rather than one per service per apartment